A Public Notice Regarding Bayou La Batre Garbage Service
In 2007, previous administration saw a problem with utility garbage services within the city limits of Bayou La Batre. Problems that needed to be addressed were;
- Utility garbage service not being available to everyone within the city limits of Bayou La Batre.
- Utility garbage fees were not affordable to certain residents on fixed incomes.
- A great need to have a city wide ordinance pertaining to utility garbage pick-up in order to eliminate the problems of dumping and burning garbage within the city limits.
To eliminate these problems, the previous administration adopted Ordinance 2007-580.
In 2007 it was found that computer software to properly manage utilities billing and collections cost on average $8,000.00 to $10,000.00. It was decided at that time the Bayou La Batre Utility Board would bill for the fees of utility garbage service since they already bill for utility water and utility sewer service. Having the Bayou La Batre Utilities Board bill for both utility water and garbage services would also be convenient for the citizens of Bayou La Batre by having one bill for all services provided for its citizens by the City of Bayou La Batre.
On May 13th, 2014, The Bayou La Batre Utility Board voted to stop billing and collection services for utility garbage pickup for the citizens of Bayou La Batre.
The City Council and Administration of Bayou La Batre strongly opposed this decision. The City Council and Administration are hopeful that in the near future, the Bayou La Batre Utilities Board will reverse their decision and resume billing and collections for utility garbage services.
The City Council and Administration of Bayou La Batre have had extensive discussions, in open forums at city council meetings since this decision was made on May 13th. Processes and procedures have now been implemented to provide the citizens of Bayou La Batre with uninterrupted service of utility garbage billing, service and payments.
Effective July 1, 2014, all utility garbage fees will be invoiced by the City of Bayou La Batre. All payments will be made to the City of Bayou La Batre. Payments can be made the following ways;
- Come in person to Bayou La Batre City Hall. Payments are accepted in cash, debit card, credit card, certified cashier’s check money order or business check. No personal checks accepted.
- Mail in payment to Bayou La Batre City Hall: 13785 South Wintzell Avenue, Bayou La Batre, AL 36509 in the form of certified cashier’s check, money order or business check.
- Pay on the City of Bayou La Batre website at www.CityOfBayouLaBatre.Com with a debit, credit or checking account using PayPal payment services (this service should be live July 7, 2014)
- PLEASE NOTE that the City of Bayou La Batre does not accept personal checks for any reason due to the unfortunate number of returned checks for nonsufficient funds.
During this transition please remember;
- All current utility garbage rates are $18.00 and rates for fixed income (by disability or social security) are 50% of the normal rate which is $9.00.
- All service pickup dates are the same. Your scheduled date of pickup will not change. South of Wintzell bridge is picked up on Tuesday’s. North of Wintzell bridge is picked up on Wednesday’s.
- Only two changes have been made. The place payments are made and to whom you make your payment to.
The City Council and the Administration are working hard to restore the billing as it was, so that each citizen can have ONE billing for all utility services rendered.
If you have ANY questions, please do not hesitate to contact city hall by coming in anytime Monday – Friday from 8am to 5pm excluding holidays or by calling 824-2171. We will be happy to answer any questions to make this transition as simple as possible.